About the Pose:
Bitilasan is a Sanskrit word that literally means ‘cow posture’ in the Hindi language. The word Bitilasan (Cow Pose) is made up of two words. The first word is Bitil, which means Cow or Cow. Whereas the second word is asana, which means standing, lying, or sitting in a particular position. It is also called Pose or Posture in English.
Bitilasana or Cow Pose is performed in pairs with another yoga asana, Marjariasana / Cat Pose. Both these asanas or poses are done in Vinyasa Yoga style. These are yoga asanas or yoga poses with simple difficulty. It is recommended to do this for 10-15 seconds. Whereas it can be repeated up to 4-5 times.
Bitilasanaor Cow Pose is a very good posture of yoga science. A healthy mind resides in a healthy body. Bitilasanaor Cow Pose not only activates metabolism but also helps in keeping your mind stable. And in today’s world, maintaining balance is the most important thing. Bitilasanaor Cow Pose helps to develop this quality related to creating balance in your body.
To practice Bitilasanaor Cow Pose, your neck and shoulders should be strong enough to bear the weight of the whole body. But first, you have to conquer the fear of your mind that you may not fall while practicing.
Even if you fall, take a deep breath and praise yourself for the effort, and practice again. To do this asana or pose in the initial stages, definitely take guidance from a qualified yoga teacher.
How to do Bitilasana (Cow Pose)-Marjariasna (Cat Pose) step-by-step:
- Laying a yoga mat on the floor, sit down with both your knees bent.
- To do this asana, you can also sit in the posture of Vajrasana.
- Now place both your hands on the floor forward.
- Putting a little weight on both the hands, raise your hips.
- Straighten the thighs up and make a 90 degree angle at the knees of the feet.
- Your chest will be parallel to the floor and you will look like a cow.
- Now take a long breath and tilt your head back.
- Push your navel from the bottom up.
- Simultaneously, raise the tailbone (the lower part of the spine).
- Now while exhaling, tilt your head down.
- Try to touch the chin of your mouth to your chest.
- Look at the distance between your knees in this position.
- Keep in mind that your hands should not bend in this posture.
- Keep your breath long and deep.
- Turn your head back and repeat the process.
- You repeat this action 10-20 times.
What are the Benefits of Bitilasana (Cow Pose)-Marjariasna (Cat Pose)?
- This will give relief to the back pain and strengthen the spine.
- Both body and mind remain calm. And you are able to focus more in work.
- People working on laptop or computer for a long time will get relief in neck and back pain.
- Your posture will also improve with this yoga and there will be no problems related to posture.
- The pain of middle back, lower back, neck and shoulders ends and tension is also reduced.
- It provides relief in pain in hands, shoulders and wrists.
- The digestive system is strong and the hip joint, knee joint, shoulder joint are strengthened for a long time.
Precautions to be taken while doing Bitilasana (Cow Pose)-Marjariasna (Cat Pose):
Avoid practicing Bitilasana if you have the following problems.
- If there is a problem of neck pain, then do not bend the neck while doing asanas.
- In the beginning, do Bitilasana only under the supervision of a yoga trainer.
- You can also do this asana yourself if you have balance.
- Before starting the practice of Bitilasana, definitely consult a doctor.
Poses to do before doing Bitilasana:
- ViparitaKarani / Legs Up the Wall pose
Poses to do after doing Bitilasana:
- Marjariasana / Cat Pose
RELATED: 7 Best Complete Yoga Kit Review 2021