About the Pose:
The word Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana is derived from Sanskrit words where Ardha means half and Chandra means shining moon. So the general term used for Ardha Chandrasana is also Half Moon Pose.
Such poses not only help in maintaining the balance of the body but also help in fighting many-body problems. This pose not only increases your energy level but also helps in protecting the body from deterioration.
This Pose should be practiced daily as it helps in strengthening the biceps. To learn this type of Pose or Asanas, please follow the steps below:
How to do Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana step by step:
• First of all, put a mat or carpet in a clean and quiet place.
• Now stand on the mat and place your left hand on the left side of the hip.
• After this breathe in and during this slowly bend your right knee. Simultaneously, keep your right hand on the front.
• Simultaneously, try to keep your right foot forward about 12 inches. Simultaneously separate your right toes.
• Now exhale and take your right hand towards the ground or floor. Press the floor with your right hand. After that keep your right leg straight. During this, raise your left leg off the floor.
• Make sure it is parallel to the ground.
• Now, try to strike a balance. At this time, keep your right knee straight.
• Tilt your upper body to your left. Simultaneously, slowly rotate your left hip in a straight direction.
• Place your left hand on the left side of the hip and your head should be facing forward.
• Maintain your entire body weight on the leg you are standing on.
• Press the floor with your lower hand, this will help you balance.
• Stay in this position for a few seconds.
• After that put your left foot down on the floor and come to your starting position.
• Now repeat the same process in the opposite direction.
Note* Keep these above-mentioned points in mind and then do Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana. Always keep in mind that whenever you start any yoga posture, first of all, understand that pose properly.
What are the Benefits of Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana?
1. Improve Digestion
The biggest effect of Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana on the human body is that it improves our digestion. This pose increases the digestive power of the body. Due to which the digestive system becomes strong. It also helps us in maintaining a balanced weight. Because it removes the extra fat from our body. That is, this yoga is beneficial in reducing obesity.
2. Helpful in balancing the body
It is important to balance the body in Ardha Chandrasana. The whole principle of this pose depends on how you balance your body. Being an intense pose, it teaches us to keep the body still in every position. You have to be smart and active while doing this. It also increases the strength of the body.
3. Better coordination power
Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose) has a huge impact on the coordination of our mind and body. By doing this, your ability to think and understand also increases. Not only this, if you do it daily then you can avoid many mental disorders.
4. Strengthen Muscles
As you know, this yoga pose completely depends on the balance and stability of the body. Therefore, a lot of physical energy is needed to do to stay in the posture of this pose. This gives good exercise to the muscles of the whole body and they become strong. Along with this, continuous practice of Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose) gives strength to the whole body and its muscles.
5. Stress Relief
Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose) is a stress-relieving posture. Due to this, the flow of blood in the body remains correct, due to which the body transports the right amount of fresh blood to the brain. So that, you get relief from stress or depression. Apart from this, by doing this a person can easily bear any trouble and depression. By doing this daily, any kind of brain-related problem gets cured quickly.
6. Relieve Back Pain
This yoga pose is also helpful in removing back problems and any kind of pain. By doing this pose, the body is massaged well. Due to which the pain of the body is removed. Along with this, the bones of the body are also strengthened. If you have a neck, arm, or headache, then it can be overcome by this asana.
7. Freedom from Menstrual Problems
Menstruation time is very difficult for women. Some days are very difficult for women due to pain, cramps, etc. By doing Half Moon Pose, you can get rid of the problems occurring during this period.
8. Some other benefits of Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose)
• This pose has a special effect on the large intestine, liver, and spleen.
• Stretching on the muscles and nerves of the spine causes laxity.
• Adequate help is given in making the buttocks of the waist strong.
• This gives good exercise to the fibers and glands of the throat.
9. By doing Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana consistently, it would be helpful to make the following muscles more stronger and healthy:
• Biceps and Triceps
• Core / Abs
Precaution while doing Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandra Pose:
Avoid practicing Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana if you have the following problems.
• Do not do this pose if there is a pain in the spine.
• This pose should not be done even if there is a serious illness.
• Do not do this pose if there is a problem of diarrhea and asthma.
• Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana should not be done if there is a pain in the neck.
• Do not raise your hand if there is a problem with shoulder pain.
• If there is knee pain or arthritis, exercise only with the support of the wall.
• Patients with heart and high blood pressure problems should not do this pose.
• In the beginning, do Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana only under the supervision of a yoga trainer.
• You can also do this pose on your own when the balance is achieved.
• Before practicing Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana, definitely take the advice of a doctor.
Things to keep in mind while doing Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana:
• Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana should be practiced only in the morning.
• To do pose in the evening, take food at least 4 to 6 hours before.
• You must have defecated before doing the pose and the stomach is completely empty.
What are the Variation of Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana:
Since all have different abilities, a given yoga pose may be easy for a particular person but difficult for another. In such cases, we can introduce pose variations to challenge a person who is finding a specific yoga pose easier or offer an easier variation of the pose for that person who may be finding it difficult in doing the main pose.
So pose variations can help the person to grow and build more confidence in their yoga practice, regardless of beginner’s ability level.
- Half Moon Pose with Knee on the floor
- Half Moon Pose with Yoga Blocks
- Sugar Cane Pose or Ardha Chandra Chapasana
- Revolved Half Moon Pose
- Half Moon Pose with Chair
Do these Poses before doing Half Moon Pose/Ardha Chandrasana:
• Sun Salutation
• Warrior I Pose
Do these Poses after doing Half Moon Pose/Ardha Chandrasana:
• Mountain Pose
• Corpse Pose