About The Pose:
Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose is taken from ancient Sanskrit Scriptures made of two Sanskrit words, which are “Kurma” means “tortoise” and the second word “asana” means “pose or position”. This is a pose is similar to a turtle. Just as a tortoise goes inside its shell or cover when it feels any kind of danger,
Similarly doing Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose draws you inwards and escapes from the chaos of the outside world.
This asana or pose is called Tortoise Pose in English. This asana or pose can help us to connect with our inner self. This asana or pose is meant for internal enlightenment and calmness.
While practicing this asana or pose, your hands and feet will go to appear as Tortoise. By doing Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose asana or Pose, our body becomes a good exercise. By practicing Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose regularly will keep our body fit and healthy,
This asana or Pose is beneficial for our body in many ways. This asana or pose gives good stretch on the back and waist, along with also increasing the blood circulation in the spine. Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose is very helpful to improve our gastric and constipation issues.
How To Do Kurmasana Or Tortoise Pose:
- Take a yoga mat and choose a calm and clean place and sit with both legs straight in front of you.
- You can also sit in Dandasana or Staff Pose to do this asana or pose.
- Now spread both legs as much as you can, keep them away from each other.
- Bend both the legs slightly from here on the knees and keep the heels of the feet on the floor.
- Now while exhaling, bend forward slightly and put your both hands below the knees of your feet.
- Straighten your both hands outside from under the knees.
- Now slowly bend your whole body and keep your face on the floor.
- Now stretch your hands out as far as you can.
- Try to straight and align your both legs properly.
- In this position, both your feet will be on both the hands and the chin and chest of your mouth will be on the ground.
- To do Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose, if you feel comfortable in this position, then you can do it even further, for this, move both your hands from below the knees to the back and hold them above your hips.
- Keep your breathing normal and try to stay in this posture for some time.
- To come to your starting position, bring both your hands out of the knee and straighten up.
Benefits Of Doing Kurmasana Or Tortoise Pose:
1. In Reducing Stress
Human Life is the second name of a struggle each person has to face some stressful situations at some point in his life whether he is a student or an adult. Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose is very effective in reducing our stress and making our body relax, mind calm, and soul peace.
It helps to regulate our blood flow in every part of our body. This asana or Pose is a tension buster, which reduces stress. Turtle Pose calms your mind and prepares it for meditation.
2. For Longevity
It is said in our ancient scriptures that like life a tortoise lasts for a long time, similarly, a person can live a healthy and long life by practicing this asana or pose.
3. For Knees
Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose is a very good yoga pose for knee pain. Also, it is very helpful to stretch the muscles of the hips, back, and legs and keep them fit and healthy.
4. For Concentration
This asana or Pose calms you and takes your mind towards concentration.
5. In Kundalini Awakening
This yoga has an important contribution to the awakening of Kundalini Shakti.
6. Best Yoga For The Stomach
Turtle pose stretches your abdominal muscles, which eliminates stomach problems and keeps your digestive system healthy. Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose stimulates the abdominal organs and helps in relieving problems like gas formation in the stomach, constipation, and indigestion.
This asana or Pose is beneficial for people suffering from diabetes and abdominal fat. This asana or Pose improves the functioning of the digestive and respiratory systems.
7. To Keep The Body Fresh
It keeps our body-positive, energetic, and fresh while stimulating various parts of the body. Moderately, it provides flexibility to the body along with reducing back pain. In this way, this asana or Pose is an important yoga practice for dance artists.
8. Mobility Of The Hips
It enhances the mobility of the hips along with reducing its stiffness.
9. To Reduce Constipation
It helps in reducing constipation of the stomach.
10. Diabetes Yoga
Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose stimulates the pancreas and helps in the secretion of insulin in the right amount. In this way, it is beneficial in the control of diabetes.
11. For Hernia
With regular practice of this asana or Pose, hernia ends forever.
12. To Reduce Belly Fat
It is also very beneficial in reducing belly fat.
13. For The Navel
This asana or Pose plays an important role in keeping the navel in the center.
14. Makes The Back Flexible
To do Kurmasana or Tortoise Pose, you have to bend completely in front, which puts strain on the back muscles, this stretch helps to make our back flexible. This asana or Pose helps to overcome all kinds of problems related to the back. Apart from this, the tortoise pose opens the spine and shoulders.
Precautions Of Doing Kurmasana Or Tortoise Pose:
- If you have knee pain then do not do this asana or Pose.
- Women who are pregnant should not do this asana or Pose.
- Women should avoid doing this asana or Pose during menstruation.
- You should not do this easy on a damaged disc (herniated disc).
- If you are troubled by shoulder pain, hip pain, and arm pain, then you should not do this asana or Pose.
- People suffering from sciatica or chronic rheumatism should not do this asana or Pose.